Mind & Spirit
In this day in age it is essential to wind the mind down through meditation. No doubt it can be difficult to set aside time to sit on your meditation cushion but the reality is you will be more effective as you move through your day. Here are a few tips to follow to walk the path of daily meditation.
1. Develop your meditation posture. In order to relax in meditation it is important to sit comfortably. The traditional practice is the lotus posture (sitting with both legs crossed, the tops of the feet resting on opposite thighs). However, you may sit in any comfortable position to practice.
2. Meditate regularly - early morning is your best bet but go with what works best for you.
3. You can choose to meditate on any object if that is easier for you. A candle, clouds, the face of of your watch, pattern on a leaf. It really doesn't matter what the object is but rather the one pointed concentration on that object.
4. Use a mantra in your meditation. A mantra is a word or sound that is repeated over and over again to provide a focus for the mind during meditation. Perhaps the best know mantra is "Om."
5. Take a leave of your senses by concentrating on the core of your self while remaining aware of your surroundings.
6. Learn from spiritual teachers, such as Buddha, Jesus or St. Augustine. Study their lives and teachings and follow their precepts in small but important ways.
7. Meet your angel. Close your eyes and simply call upon your guardians. Give them permission to be your daily guide - they know you and offer unconditional love and support. Whenever you feel lost or alone, simply tap in to their energy and they will be there to greet you.
This month make every effort to improve your meditation practice. Why not take it to new levels and see what happens!