Prince Edward Island - Canada
The postures in Surya Namaskar are designed to awaken the connection between your agni, or inner fire, and that of the sun. It is said that if your inner fire is burning brightly, you are open to absorbing information in your surrounding environment. Sun salutations represent the full experience of human life. Traditionally, these poses were performed at sunrise and sunset, representing an infusion of the sun's energy into life energy. The sun is the source of all life on this planet, including human life. We are light beings. Sun salutations are a way to acknowledge the primordial self to actualized self.
There are specific mantras that align with each posture of Surya Namaskar that is said to awaken the energy of the sun. Here is the list of poses with their respective mantras. Practice several rounds of Surya Namaskar while repeating the mantras quietly or aloud and let your inner fire shine brightly.
1. Tadasana - Om Mitraya Namaha. This pose resonates with the heart chakra and the Law of Giving and Receiving.
2. Upward Salute - Om Ravaye Namaha. This pose awakens the throat chakra and the Law of Detachment.
3. Forward Fold: Om Suryaya Namaha. This pose activates the navel chakra and the Law of Least Effort.
4. Low lunge - Om Bhanave Namaha. This pose activates the 3rd eye, your intuition and is associated with the Law of Dharma.
5. Downward Facing Dog: Om Khagaya Namaha. This pose activates the throat chakra and the Law of Detachment.
6. 8 Limb Pose - Om Pooshne Namaha. This pose activates the solar plexus chakra and the Law of Intention and Desire.
7. Cobra: Om Hiranya Garbhya Namaha. THis pose activates the navel chakra and the Law of Least Effort.
8. Downward Facing Dog; Om Marichaya Namaha. It acknowledges the transformational power of the sun.
9. Low Lunge: Om Aditya Namaha. It is a nurturing aspect of the sun.
10. Forward Fold: Om Savitre Namaha. This aspect acknowledges the stimulating power of the sun.
11. Upward Salute: Om Arkaya Namaha. This aspect relates to the energizing sun.
Surya Namaskar is yoga in motion and perfect to practice if you only have limited time for yoga. Remember to breathe in harmony with the movements, so that you are inhaling each time the body is extended and exhaling each time the body is in flexion.