Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why The Dented Face?

Okay, so some of my followers have been asking me what the title of my blog page, The Dented Face means. Actually, they really wanted to know how I came up with the name.

It all started about a week ago when I decided to go and have a massage. So right now I'm sure you are all wondering what a massage has to do with the title of my blog page. Trust me when I tell you it has everything to do with it. Let me begin by setting the scene. Not that I have to give you a blow-by-blow description of a massage, so I'll just cut to the chase. The masseuse was excellent, but definitely heavy on the hand. At any rate, I'm at the part of the session when you are face down on that pillow with the center cut out. I can't stand that cut out pillow on those tables. Someone really needs to develop a better pillow system for these tables, but I digressed. Anyway, I had this overwhelming sense that with every stroke across my back muscles by "man hands," the left side of my face was being dented. But the good sport that I am, I say nothing and just lay there feeling the left side of my face go numb thinking - this will be over soon. What felt like eternity passing, the masseuse finally gently taps my back and I know the session is over. I proceed to gather my clothes, get dressed, and nearly frighten myself with the look of my hair. For a moment I thought how a hat would be perfect to don to calm those out of control locks, but no such luck.


I head out from the spa and decide to run a few errands. You would think I would consider going home first and covering the oil laden head - not even a thought. As I go about my errands I'm noticing people really staring at me. Not giving it too much thought, I proceed to go about my business when I catch my reflection in a window front and wonder why my face looks a bit contorted. I jumped back into my car and take a closer look when I see this dent on the left side of my face. Now, I know it is normal to have the "massage face crease" but this was a rather chiseled look.

After eight hours the pillow outline from the massage table is still engraved in my face. A glass of wine later, as I'm tapping on my keyboard writing my first blog, I proceed to check on my new look. I scream up to my daughter and husband half laughing..."Great, now I have a dented face." A voice from above - What a perfect name for your blog page! So this my friends is the story behind the title of my blog page. The deeper meaning...the Buddha image on my page portrays enlightenment, peace, and the ultimate end path for us all. The Dented Face points to human frailty and imperfections. The image reminds us that if we become still in mind everyday we can better handle daily frustrations and move closer to our highest potential.

Stay tuned for my next blog. What's going on with that singing refrigerator?

2 comments:

  1. Now that is more like it sister..... *Idea for next topic.... "I flung my canned peach at AnnMarie today"...because fruit must be eaten alone Blog! Your a funny wine drinking gal... lots of fun catching up!
    Thanks for lunch! annie g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read the blog about the flinging peach.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear your comments...

Cultivate Clarity and Soothe Your Nerves

How we breathe provides a window into your current energetic state. Simple breathing (Pranayama) practices can function as tonics to invit...