The Autumnal Equinox - The Journey Within
Olympic National Park
You are the only true expert on your journey to enlightenment!
Our senses tell us summer has come to an end in the northern half of the world. The Autumn Equinox arrives this year on Monday, September 23, 2019. This officially marks the beginning of fall in the Northern Hemisphere and spring in the Southern Hemisphere.
The word "equinox" comes from the Latin and means "equal night." Essentially, two times a year the day and night are equal (12 hours). The Autumn Equinox represents a time of harvest and contractive force within the earth to prepare for the colder months ahead. It is a time to harvest the efforts of your intentions for your life path that you set earlier in the year.
The changing seasons are key points in nature: the Winter Solstice, Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice and Autumnal Equinox. Just as the seasons move through these cycles, so too does the human spirit evolve ever deeper towards a state of enlightenment.
From a spiritual perspective, fall is a time to acknowledge abundance. It is a time to recognize there is abundance all around, and to acknowledge abundance as our natural state of being.
Ways to Celebrate:
There are many ways to celebrate the significance of this time of year. Here are a few suggestions:
- Take a moment in quiet meditation perhaps sitting upon the earth at the exact time of the "equinox"- (3:50 AM EST on Monday September 23, 2019). Open your mind, body and spirit to the intelligence of nature as is gracefully moves into the next season. Fuel yourself with this powerful energy. Absorb it through every cell of your being and notice any subtle changes.
- Shift your state of consciousness from a position of lack to one of abundance. Create a Darshan (vision) of your desired abundance and then see this image starring back at you.
- Light a candle as a prayer of gratitude for all that you are and all that you have.
- Create a gift from all the elements of nature and give it back to Mother Earth. For example, collect different color leaves that have fallen from the trees, add some acorns, a favorite stone, flower, seeds, etc. The options are endless. Once you create your gift, go to your favorite spot outdoors and place the gift upon the earth as a gesture of gratitude. The earth is what we share. She provides us with food, air, nutrients, shelter, beauty and awe!
- A favorite ritual of mine is to create leaf boats. Here is part 2 of my leaf boat video. Here is my video sending the leaf boats into the lake!
Fall is a great time to become quiet and listen to your inner voice and see what is trying to emerge. As you soften your thoughts (vrittis), your mind becomes fertile like that of the soil of the earth for your creativity and greater vision to rise up. Become silent, take pause from what your are doing, and activate a new growth cycle in your life.
The fall Equinox is a time when the days become shorter and the nights are longer. In essence, it is a calling for internal consciousness - a letting go of the ego to prepare for the light to rise within. When you act upon the spiritual with the physical ritual, you recognize your spiritual progress is part of the journey.
Make a concerted effort to recognize the change of season and celebrate the process. Acknowledge as the season shifts from summer to fall, so does your spirit. In doing so, you honor your own growth and light!
Mary Jane - Feng Shui Yoga Girl