1. Yama - Attitudes towards our environment comprising: ahimsa - ethic of non-violence, restraint from lying, stealing, greed.
2. Niyama - attitudes towards ourselves - comprising cleanliness, serenity, study, devotion and asceticism.
3. Asana - positioning of the body while incorporating the breath to achieve a greater awareness of the mind.
4. Pranayama - breath control - energizing and balancing of the mind-body through stilling and flow of breath (prana).
5. Pratyahara - Sense withdrawal - relaxation and internalization of the senses in order to activate the mind.
6. Dharana - concentration - focus and holding of attention.
7. Dhyana - meditation - prolonged concentration fills the whole consciousness.
8. Samadhi - ultimate state of self - realization leads to blissful state, the awakened state or liberation.
Slow and steady we move towards an awakened state of being!
Mary Jane Kasliner